Tuesday 12 January 2016

This was going to be 'HOW TO MAKE A BOMBE' but a Beast from the East has roared into town and so we are putting that post aside and going to tell you about something 'HOT OUT OF THE OVEN' instead.

As a child who grew up in Kent, slap bang in the middle of a mixed farm, she loves apples and so do I. We also LOVE this pudding and yes, we know it contains self-raising flour and the dreaded S word.. aka Sugar but we certainly don't eat it every day, great pity that.

EVE'S PUDDING is an old recipe that she's been making for over forty years, it's SO old, the measurements are still in Imperial measures! It's guaranteed to warm your stomach, so do make it.

What goes to make it..

3 Large Cooking Apples.
2 tbs granulated sugar.
Grated rind & juice of a Lemon.. unwaxed please!
1 tbs Water.
3 oz unsalted Butter.
3 oz caster Sugar.
1 Large Egg.
5 oz self-raising Flour.. sift this into a bowl with a pinch of salt
1 Clove.
2-3 tbs of Milk.
Thick cream Or PROPER Custard

Plus you need a 6" diameter pie dish and to preheat your oven to 375F or Gas mark 5.

And.. How to make it..

Peel and core the apples.
Cut them into thick slices, put them into a pan with granulated sugar, clove, lemon juice and water.
Cook until apples are only just soft.
Place them at the bottom of the pie dish.
Soften the butter with the lemon rind in a bowl, add the caster sugar and beat / work until the mix is light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg.
With a metal spoon, fold in the sifted flour.
*this avoids losing any of the air which you beat into the egg*
Stir in enough milk to give the mixture a 'dropping' consistency.
Spread this mix over the apples in the pie dish and bake for about 40 minutes.

I, meanwhile, am not in the best bit of her Black Book.

For, having been left to my own devices.. aka on my own for a short while when she went to load some laundry into wash machine, I hoisted my fat body up onto the shelf above where I normally play at 'chief destroyer of all things carboardy' and found.. oh, lookielookie.. two thermos flasks, a plastic measure and an industrial sized cheese grater.

She came back to YumYum HQ when she heard curious noises.. they were the noise of the before mentioned items hitting the floor, things do tend to 'move' when Beaky gives them a nudge or tap and these four items were no exception.. they flew off the shelf but unfortunately dropped to the floor like stones.

But I'm happy to tell you that the thermos liners survived, otherwise, I think, in fact, I'm pretty sure, I
would have been banished into bedroom, with door firmly closed between me and the rest of flat.. ugh.. I do hate it when she does that.

But as she has an Eve's Pudding in the oven and an appley-clovey smell wafting up her snitch, she's in a happy mood (thank goodness) and having checked the inside of the thermos, she just gave me one of those 'parental' looks and said these immortal words.. "Some mother's do 'ave 'em" and took a snap of me on my new perch.

So I live to fight another day.. infact, seeing those thermos fly and crash but not break their mirrored liners is, indeedy, a good enough reason to be chirpful! Don't you agree?

GeeGee Parrot.
January 12 th, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment