Thursday 14 January 2016

Did she care? Not one jot.. she was hot!

And how or why was that, I bet you're wondering. For it's chilly-billy at about 5 degrees and so to be 'hot', except for the bits that weren't protected from the icy damp weather, was pretty clever.

What was adding warmth, apart from multiple layers of thermal vest, lambswool sweater plus a woollen lined raincoat, was the fur lining from an old raincoat that died many a year ago.

The raincoat had been ruined by an oil spill whilst in someone's car but the oil, thank goodness, did not penetrate through the coat, so she tossed that and kept the detachable rabbit liner.. it's very smart, a beautiful dark pine green.

And today Mr. Rabbit slipped underneath her, also green, raincoat, she held her breath when she put on the coat as the rabbit liner is almost full length but YEAH, the raincoat was as long!

Having whistled up WW, she left for Borough Market on a milk and curd finding jaunt. Oooh, she loves this place, even though it's open to the four winds and is a bit chilly, why does she love it? Well, you can and she does, graze happily and talk to people who are, mostly, extremely knowledgeable about their product and, usually, they'll give you a bit to try.

So after slurping a slither of Parma ham and two tiny morsels of the most extraordinary cheese, that will get their own post because of how amazing they were, she eventually arrived at her destination.

Trade was slow throughout the market, there weren't many folk out buying anything, I'm not really surprised, on a cold day like today, I would spend my lunch break, IF I EVER HAD LUNCH, in a snug pub as close to a radiator as physically possible.

I don't get lunch. She grazes at Borough and other markets that she frequents and she's having lunch with Ann tomorrow in Streatham but generally speaking, it isn't a meal that we have.

Don't telephone Parrot Cruelty and tell them sad stories, for I do have an enormous bowl of bird food plus clean water and a cardboard box to destroy but you should, by now, know that I much prefer her food to my own bird seed.

Having chewed the fat with Joe upon and over the state of the nation and found a home, in Joe's hall and sittingroom, for her two almost brand new radiators that are surplus to requirements, she came home.

On went that big pot which has pork bones making slurpy stock with vegetables, once the stock boiled, she ladled some onto a bowl of left-over bulgar she'd found in the fridge, it was hot and tasty, I love carrots done like this, they're extremely warming to old Beaky and bald tumtum.

Talking about the bald bits of my body. Whilst she was out and about, I am afraid to say that I had a 'go' at tumtum, very silly to do that for I fear that if I continue in this stupid fashion, she might take me back to the nice (but dreaded) vet's surgery and vet Matthew might decide to put me into a collar.. gulp.. and.. he'd keep me there 'under observation' for two days!

Gordon Bennett! For apart for the cost of such torture, imagine the horror of not being at home or even in jail, my normal jail, where I get spoilt rotten, I'd be in a new place where I've never stayed before and I heard Matthew talk about how I'd have to be sedated when he puts the collar on me.. PLUS.. on top of that, I'd be unable to put Beaky back between my shoulder blades which is how I sleep.. for months.. whilst my feathers grow back.

BLIMY.. I wonder if there are any positions going on a HMRN ship leaving Portsmouth who'd like a bald mascot?

It is HIDEOUS, truly gruesome to think about it but I've got into this silly habit of plucking and one of my legs is nearly bald, almost as bald as tumtum, so she growled at me when she saw what I'd done today whilst she was out, there aren't many chirps around here today, that's for sure. Sigh.

GeeGee Parrot.
January 14th, 2016.
PostScript: HMRN stands for Her Majesty's Royal Navy. The British navy for hundreds of years had a tradition of having a parrot on board most, if not all, of their ships. We met a very nice man about four years ago, his name was Nick Howland (he is a very bigwig at Goldsmith's Hall in the City of London) who had been a Commander in the RN, his last command being a Frigate.

They had an African Grey Parrot mascot.. but his language was 'slightly' too ripe and he had to be smuggled ashore when Her Majesty The Queen came on board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment