Saturday 30 January 2016

Poor pillow, it wasn't the pillows' fault she had been reading the New York Times late at night and come across the article called 'What does a Parrot know about PTSD?'

Yes, poor pillow, it got thumped many times last night because she couldn't get to sleep. And why? It was her own fault because she'd been reading the NY Times newspaper on line, as you do (but really shouldn't do so late at night 'cos your brain goes into active mode).

She had come across an extraordinary article about Parrots and US veterans and PTSD. Written by Charles Siebert on January 28th, 2016, we urge you, Dear Readers, to find and read this article. It is a sad but wonderful story.

But it didn't make her happy about her decision not to offer that four year old African Grey a home.. subsquently, she tossed and turned all night long, if I'd been that pillow, I'd left the bed without even saying 'Adios amigo'.. I'd have 'slipped out the back Jack', for, after all, there more than 'Fifty Ways to Leave a Lover', are there not?

We woke up late this morning, it was past ten of the morning clock. I'm extremely sleepy and she's definitely not fully awake for she only boiled herself one egg! See, there's the proof all's not well in the 'woodshed', aka her brain.

We have NO idea what sort of day it is out there but she has to go out as we've only got one orange left! I had never even seen an orange until about ten days ago. Yes, clementines and tangerines have always appeared at Christmas times but oranges? I thought "that's a very fat clementine" and then she gave me a piece (with no membrane in sight, see how well trained she is.. it took a few years but she's finally there) and yum, what a great taste!

But she eats three a day and there are no tangerines or clementines left at all, thank goodness for our local fruit and vegetable market! Yes, it's Winter folks, they're all in season and talking of seasons and oranges, do you know what are in season RIGHT now?

Ole! That should give you a clue. The Seville, aka Bitter, Oranges are in town. Yes, it's home-made MARMALADE making time! Beg or steal jam jars and please make your own, for it is the very BEST stuff to eat, with a slice (or two) of rye sourdough toast, a muffin or a crumpet. And have you ever tried to make Lemon or Lime Marmalade? They're also slurpicious.

And talking of Rye Sourdough bread, she came home yesterday, by way of Apple in Covent Garden, with a very fat, lubbly-jubbly loaf from Borough Market, it is huge! There's a trick to Sourdough loaves, you cut them in half, then into a quarter and you keep the bread wrapped up in a linen cloth.

Yes, it hardens but it doesn't sweat or go bad, the one she bought a week ago is now rock hard but I love it and of course, it is brilliant dunked into soup or a stew, which is how she finished it off last night.. you should NEVER waste good bread. Breadcrumbs.. Bird food.. don't just 'bin' it.

Ok, now let's start our day! We broken our fast, she's mended my perch which had slipped off its' holder, has vacuumed away empty seeds, changed my water, given me water into which I know she's slipped all manner of herbal tinctures. I 'pretend' not to like this, but she knows that I don't really mind it all.

For she knows that if I REALLY minded, there's no chance I'd sit on her knee whilst she empties a plastic syringe into Beaky, huh, she wouldn't have a thumb left if I didn't like it AND she knows it, which is why she kisses Beaky, strokes my head and tells me "you're such a good girl", 'cos I am.

And you, Dear Readers, are very good readers. I wish I knew how people in far-away places know about my blog, for there are people in South Korea, Vietnam, Ukraine, Brazil and South Africa reading it today but we don't know anyone there, are you people who are travelling? Did a friend tell you about GeeGee Parrot's Blog? We welcome you all, wherever you are.

And.. Reasons to be Chirpful: We have some food in chilly white larder, some dry stores, clean water in our tap, electricity at press of switch, LOVELY FRIENDS.. a little bit of money in bank, dry bed. Do you take these things for granted, we hope not?

GeeGee Parrot.
January 30th, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment