Saturday 26 December 2015

DECEMBER 27TH IS TOMORROW.. SO I'M COUNTING.. ONE POTATO TWO POTATOES..

You're all going to feel veryvery foolish, yes, you are, I won't classify you as silly-billies but ohhoho it's going to be close! What am I wittering on about? I'm wittering about tomorrow being this highly significant date and not one of you has got it right yet! Huh.

Where's Jack Frost? It's wet, warm and dismal outside today here in deepest Knightsbridge, the weather has been dreadful all over the world, with horrifying tornadoes causing multiple deaths and destruction across several of American States. Typhoons in the Far East and un-precented rainfall here in the UK.

There are flies out there, in December! So now you see why I want Old Mister Frosty, for flies flying around and about in the first month of winter is not good. We rely upon Winter with its' chill factor for dormancy for plants. And yet, there are Daffodils growing in England, which should, by rights, be fast asleep until the middle of Spring.. a good three months away!

And, I have seen slugs.. ugh.. another reason for Jack to be scattering his icy stuff around and about! All these creatures should be fast asleep and deep in the soil. Poor worms, they're still higher up than they should be, which is all very well but IF old man Winter and Jack do come along and freeze us up, they'll be caught out and killed.

Worms are vital, don't squish your face up like that for the wind might turn and you'll be stuck with that silly expression on your face forever, there's a whole lot going on under the surface of the earth that most of us, her included, don't know about.

Thank heaven (and earth) for The Natural History Museum in South Kensington. For it doesn't just contain dry bones of pre-historic animals but everything that isn't man made. The name tells you all about it.. natural history.. and there are people working there who are constantly finding out 'new' old stuff.

Go and be prepared to be amazed.. go and visit a different section each time.. GO.. and if you can't come to our museum, find your own country's equivalent and go.. often.. to that one. Become a Member, it will cost you MUCH less than the cost of one, yes one, Starbuck's coffee per week!

Does that surprise you?

People often ask her "what do you do when you're not working the allotment, doing voluntary work etc?".. she replies "I'm a strange breed of culture vulture, I love the British Library, the V&A, the ESU (English Speaking Union), The Royal Palace Collection (this gives you access to six different locations in London), all of which I am a member /  friend, I go to their exhibitions and the permanent displays all the time, I go to lectures, on trips, use their restaurants and Member's Rooms when I'm in them, we're spoilt in London and I take advantage of as much of these treasures as I can".

She's asked "Isn't it expensive to belong to all these places".. she counts them out.. "it costs me £180.00 a year plus the odd thing I may pay for at the ESU, if you pay for ONE coffee a week at Starbucks that costs you £2.40.. times 52 weeks.. £124.80. Throw in a brownie or a muffin at £1.50 and your bill is £3.90.. times 52 weeks.. £202.80. I'd rather drink my own, better coffee, and pay for an ANNUAL membership to these four incredible institutions and learn or see something amazing".

"And, I get to take a guest in with me.. I took Ann to see The Fabric of India on the Friends Opening Day.. her 'Thank you' card, written and posted out the next day said it all.. "how wonderful, what an amazingly eye opening thing to have seen", I love having my eyes opened and these places do it".

But here we are, it's Boxing Day here in the UK, theoretically, it is a National Holiday but I think the shops are open, not the sensible ones but the West End stores will all have either on-line or in-store sales going on.. I think she'll stay at home, too wet and no transport to futz with allotments today but there is the subject of Bruce's bedroom to be addressed.. ah-ha.

So, we are now getting up, we were late to bed last night what with overseas calls to make and then responding to cheeky electronic letters which came winging their way through the air.

Fast breaking food awaits, oh, slurpy-durpy. Smoked Salmon with Scrambled Eggs is MY choice, what was yours. You know what Clint said "make my day", wel, eggs and fish will do just that, it'll make my day.

GeeGee Parrot.
Boxing Day.
December 26th, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment