Sunday 27 December 2015

GEEGEE PARROT'S BLOG'S 4th BIRTHDAY.. YES, MY BLOG IS 4 YEARS OLD TODAY..

How about that? Not one of you guessed the significance of December 27th!

Sometimes, I do think that most of you are fast asleep when you read about my exploits of 'daring-do' but then, now and again, we get, for all of MY mail goes through HER hands, a postcard, a telephone call or an e:mail with a reference to something I've written that shows.. yippee.. you're awake!

But how about this folks.. four years! Who knew that I'd still be wittering on about 'the price of eggs' and other such important things, plus the stuff I continually amaze, amuse, astonish and astound you with? Not her, that's for sure, but I am like the genie in the bottle, having been let out, it'll be impossible to put me back in.. aka silence me.

Silence! Huh, she'd have been happy with a bit of that yesterday but oh no, for I was happyhappy and was in 'land-line ringing mode' and perched up high infront of the front door, I rang and rang just like Mr. BT's best and so true was my ring that she missed a call from Fanny, a dear friend who lives on the Spanish island of Mallorca.

And it wasn't until much later that she saw a light flashing on the land-line unit, she dialed 1471 and it told her that a Spanish number had called.

They met when they were eight at Penderel School in Tenterden, Kent, but after her family moved to Sandwich, the other side of Kent, they didn't see each other for a veryvery long time.

Many years ago, she had 'humoured' a friend by joining Friends Reunited and received emails from long-lost friends around the world but there was one to which she replied saying "I'm sorry but you've got the wrong ..... for I don't recognise your name", she must have been on line, for she received an immediate response saying "ahhhh, of course, but you know Fanny ......!"

The years vanished as she 'saw' this friend and responded immediately with her telephone number.

Fanny came to stay and brought with her an truly amazing gift. It was in a long skinny tube, a black and white school photo taken at the end of the Summer term 1959 at Penderel and there were the faces of.. Jenny Ross, Rosemary Scott, Margaret Jenner, Janet Yates (known as Janty, who is an Oscar winning ~ Gladiators ~ costume designer and other girls she hasn't thought of more many a year.

A couple of months later, she went to stay with Fanny in Dorset.

Note: Penderel no longer exists and Fanny, the very clever person that she is, had managed to track down the company who had taken the school photos!

It is truly amazing how different people's lives can be, isn't it?

Fanny was seriously 'bright' and had an incredible career, her last job being head of fundraising for one of the UK's most important charities, the RNLI. You may not know what these initials stand for but I can tell you, that the thousands of people whose lives have been saved by this charity do, they stand for.. DRUMROLL.

                                     ROYAL NATIONAL LIFEBOAT INSTITUTION

Yes, folks, it's a Charity and they go out to sea in all manner of weather, it operates 24/7/365 & 366.

Fanny made the decision to retire, sold her house and almost everything except for a few precious bits and went to live on the Balearic island of Mallorca / Majorca. She speaks and writes perfect Spanish and is an active and fully intergrated member of the town Paguera. She's been there, gosh, is it ten years already?

Mama called her back but got the ansaphone, she left a message, Fanny returned her call, they spoke for a long tim, "when are you coming here? I may not come to England this year and it's been too long, the only time the spare room is booked is at Easter time, please come" and I heard my mama repond "I'll come this Spring Fanny, that would be lovely, I'll renew my passport and come".

Well, that means a trip to jail in the aviary for me, but as she hasn't been anywhere since July 2008, I guess she's due for a bit of fun in the sun, don't you?

Fanny has done some work editing for a writer who lives almost next door to her and this brings me full circle back to my first ever post on December 27th, 2011, on which I wrote about having the freedom to write exactly what I wanted to, without someone editing my words but life's like this and that, it's always full of surprises.

Enjoy your life today, we've got BIG Cousin Bruce arriving from Italy today. What fun!

GeeGee Parrot.
December 27th, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment