Saturday 3 January 2015

THE MAKING OF NIBBLES..

No, I am not describing genteel Victoria sandwiches. I am describing the antics in a working kitchen, our kitchen to be precise, there was much work done today as she had to get the dough ready for tomorrow.

For tomorrow is Sunday.. we thought it was Monday but we were a day ahead of ourselves.. and it was to be Baking Day, the boxes were to be packed with goodies and posted in different directions.

Jamaican Pepper, aka Allspice. Homegrown Rosemary. Fresh Lemon juice and zest from some very wonky looking Lemons, their wonkiness denoted the fact that they are, indeed, very special and hail from the island of Amalfi.

(I know why bakers wear white, for floury hands wiped on black leggings leave ghostly marks!)

The steel mixing bowl was a huge success! And having more baking trays meant the dough could be rolled into skinny rolls and chilled with ease on trays in chilly-white larder. Everything was speeded up by a whole day.

However.. I am ashamed to say that, despite having 'lively' music played especially for my benefit, I became very jealous of the attention being paid to these balls of dough and Beaky gave my food dish a beak, aka a shove.

How was I to know that the floor was so hard? I never go there, it is only for feet and mice to tread and scamper upon.

And so, I am dreadfully ashamed to say that my old food dish, a Pyrex dish top so old that it belonged to Constance and dated from the 1950's, is no more. It fell five feet from the top of chilly-white larder, hit the floor and exploded!

Whoops.. oh dear.. big whoops. She stood there in shock and looked at me in sadness. She put up her hand and I stepped onto her wrist. "Oh, BugBug, that was such a naughty thing to do", moved her hand and I stepped up onto Goosie Head, my perch.

Bending down, being careful not to cut herself, she picked up as much of the dish as possible, then collected DustBuster. This is a marvellous gadget which vacuums things up without having to get the big vacuum out.

Moving swiftly along.. Hot metal box.. aka Oven.. was lit and the dial turned to gas mark 5.

Dough cut and pressed into small disks, they were dipped into a mix of finely chopped salted Pistachio nuts, sea salt, dried herbs and the wonky Lemon zest.

Her mobile has a stop-watch.. who knew? Set for 4.45 minutes it beepbeepbeeded and out of the hot box came tiny crisp savoury biscuits which were put onto drying racks. The recipe needed a bit, actually quite a few tweaks, more pepper and some hard cheese perhaps? Next time.. not tonight.

Time for human and parrot, a few slices of cold Three Bird Roast with mashed carrot, parsnip and sweet potato, a delicious mix, which we both love.

Nothing more has been said about the demise of Pyrex top but I notice my evening slice of Rye bread was put, without a plate, on top of chilly-white larder.

Yes, Dear Readers, one has to accept the consquences of one's actions.. aka.. suck it up.

Now we are off to eat our two evening apples and watch television.. we're going to watch Emma Thompson in Nanny McPhee.. for laughter before bed is always a good recipe.

PipPip.. time to settle down on her head and to be amused.. PipPip.

GeeGee Parrot.
January 3rd, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment