Saturday 28 January 2012

Roast Pork and Sage...

Good evening to YOU all..

Oh, MY feathers.. I trust that none of you caught a chill today? It is bitter in London and damp, therefore, most definitely, 'a two Hot Water Bottle' evening. SHE went out looking like a cross between a Russian Mujik and The Michelin Tyre person, around HER head and neck SHE had a long woollen scarf and a thick fleece was underneath a padded coat, how it fastened is beyond ME.

SHE went to The North End Road Market and put HER nose into the Butchers to thank them for the delicious Lamb, whilst SHE was there SHE saw they had a 'Special' on Shoulder of Pork on the bone, (our favourite cut of Pork), one popped straight into Wicker Trolley, then SHE saw a whole box of (22) Persimmons for £3.00! Normally, they sell at 3 for £1.00, so Wicker Trolley took those as well, HER last stop was with the lovely Carol, who sells very good vegetables. Purple Sprouting Broccoli and potatoes for mashing slid amongst the Persimmons, HER food shopping was done. Off to the Charity Shop to collect the items SHE had paid for and to come back home on the #14.

Into the kitchen with Wicker Trolley, out came the Pork, on went the gas, rub-a-dub-dub with oil, pepper and sage and into the oven went Pork to cook for a good three hours....

Tomorrow SHE goes to meet Debbie Goaty-Milk Seller... three litres please Debbie. Such glorious milk. WE feel mighty sorry for people who are unable to source a local supply of 'proper' milk. So off to the Parson's Green Farmer's Market SHE has to go in the morning, oh, I hope it doesn't snow tonight in London, up in the north they've had all sots of white stuff, hail, ice and snow.. not good for my wild feathery-faced friends who have been singing in the Gardens opposite our house.

Before I forget, I must tell Joanna that the email address that she gave us is not working properly.. she gave us joanna.darcy69@yahoo.com but norty Mr.Yahoo says that that email address doesn't exist.. it is really most peculiar.

I loved her Post about her dogs in Singapore, although I am fluent in Dog and Jack Parker aka little dog, I have never actually met one, I had a friend called Zak when I was very little, he was a big black Cat and WE used to sleep on the sofa together, I perched on the back of the sofa and Zak slept on the cushion right underneath. I am also fluent in Cat and Kitten.

Cats and Dogs age differently to Parrots, he was 162 'Cat' years and I still miss him.

It is strange how things work out, isn't it? The Charity Shop is closed for three weeks whilst they do electrical work and at The Studio WE are going to be very busy as there are a lot of very nice orders that came in this last week. We will go there instead of to the shop.

I can smell Roast Pork... yummy-yum-yum, hop-diggity-dog. Supper time, early grub, dark and cold out there, all the more reason to put warm grub into your tummies. With a quick zoom down on to HER head, off WE go to take the meat out of the oven to rest and to steam the Broccoli.

I hope that YOU've got an equally delicious yumyum planned for YOUR supper?

Toot toot to YOU all.

GeeGee Parrot.
January 28th, 2012.

2 comments:

  1. I know, I think I've got the email-thing corrected now. Working very hard to get my "contacts" list in order. My French mother-in-law used to say that a pork roast without sage wasn't worth eating. Yes, yes sage & pork (& a bit of garlic!) are the best.

    You are so lucky to have persimmons! Mon Dieu! They are such a lovely bright orange, they ripen at Xmas, such a different taste, too. We can hardly find them in Dallas. But I can get them sometimes at Carnival, the Mexican supermarket. They are very expensive, though.

    I know, I know, I really should start writing more about la cuisine, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joanna, YOU are back in the land of email speak, I am so glad for you. ask your butcher if he can do Shoulder of Pork ON the bone, take it out of the fridge and leave it for 20 minutes, then rub it with crushed garlic, sage and fresh black pepper inGOOD Olive Oil, roast it for 30 minutes at a high heat then drop it down to a med/ low heat for 2 hours. it is perfection.. eat it with apple sauce and mashed potatoes with the gravy from the pan..

      YES yes, We want some of YOUR recipes... we are sad that you don't get Persimmons easily, here SHE bought 22 in a box for $4.50 on Saturday Fternon in the local market and they are scrummydumptious

      Delete