Tuesday 3 January 2012

OTHER PEOPLE' HABITS.

Are 'pretty' strange, aren't they? Dear Reader, you must be aware, unless you are not really concentrating and merely flipping through MY BLOG to waste time, in which case, please don't, the fact you'll be aware of, of course, is that SHE and I enjoy our food.

SHE even enjoys shopping for it. Mind you, SHE does have the invaluable, old Wicker Trolley, who, despite Basket being a bit broken and in dire need of a reweave, trundles along with her and together THEY go all over London to search out weird and wonderful places to purchase delicious food.

Now you know SHE loves Singapore Rice Noodles, well, my favourite thing to eat is Humous.. and the more Garlicky the better! And I like Pink Stuff as we call it, you would know it as Taramasalata. Our local shops sell it in two forms, Artisan / home-made or commercially made stuff, it is pretty gruesome, with little garlic and horribly expensive for a measly amount. Now, I can slurp my way through those small pots of Humous in no time, so SHE went looking for the proper stuff in industrial quantities. SHE found it.. SHE always 'get's her man', like The Canadian Mounties.

Faaaar away from where WE live, on other side of London, beyond The Angel and Kingsland Road is Dalston Junction. Almost opposite the train station is a street market which can only be described as where Black Africa meets Asia. One of her friends is a young woman from the Cameroons, she sells great handbags that you never see anywhere else, another is Leila, a beautiful Turk!

And Leila runs an amazing shop for at the very top of The Ridley Road Market, the Stoke Newington end, is a wonderful Emporium called 'The Turkish Food Centre'. Oh, Sacred-Dagga-the-Parrot-in-the-Sky, I am eternally grateful that you guided HER to this place.

For they are purveyors of the finest quality Humous AND The Pink Stuff and it comes in truly industrial sizes. 1 and 2 Kilo boxes.

My 'Bird Brain' has been known to wander when food is the subject, concentrate GeeGee... Right, back to 'Strange Habits'. One of the Sites that SHE reads avidly is called laylita.com, Dear Reader, THIS gurl knows her onions! HuHUH.. Her recipes are scrummydumptious and Ellie from Ellie's Dairy and I both agree that the Cheese Tart that Laylita posted a couple of days ago, would be "just fab with Goaty Folk Cheese".

But, that's not the reason why I write about Laylita, I write about her because she wrote about yes, you've got it, things that people do and, in her case, the people are South Americans.

The following things are from a selection of how they celebrate New Year's Eve.

The first is to run around the block with an EMPTY suitcase, apparently this will bring you good travels and adventure in the New Year. Words fail me.. you know THAT it has to be pretty serious for words to fail ME, the sight of HER creeping out with HER suitcase, I bet SHE was praying no one would see her, and RUNNING around the gardens wirh it, I was speechless with laughter, luckily it took some time and I was able to compose my features before she came back in.

The next one is quite simple. You wear coloured underwear.. Yellow for Prosperity and Red for Love. This may seem a bit disloyal but SHE did look quite weird wearing both sets.

Studio Owner told her that Shakespeare said that Red and Yellow clothing signified 'The Fool', I hope not, I was looking forward to a few more treats and fewer 'anxious' moments this year.

Now I have the greatest admiration for Laylita, she's a cracking food writer so I would never put in writing anything hurtful or let alone think anything. But you've got to agree, they are certainly 'unusual habits', aren't they?

However, all the rest of Laylita's recommendations are either delicious or hysterically funny, especially the one where men dress up as widows! No No.. you go and check out her website, they are too lengthy for me to copy out, the recipe for Ceviche is mind blowingly delicious and perfect if you are intent on becoming a slimmer person!

We had a very early start this morning... Yawn. I was fast asleep but SHE gave me
me a sliver of Persimmon and that got my act into flap mode pretty fast.

GeeGee Parrot.
January 3rd, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment