Tuesday 9 February 2016

The Pewsey Post.

Well, there she is down in The Vale of Pewsey and here am I, Jail-Bird # 410, up in the smoke in prison. It's 'Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday' and much as we prisoners made loud noises about 'we'd like pancakes for breakfast please', we did not, I am sorry to tell you, get even a slurp of Maple Syrup!

She, meanwhile, had a soft boiled egg, toast, two clementines and coffee and that, Dear Readers, was just to break her night's fast, then they all went out in the car into the village where she found an enchanting old Horlicks jug with the original frother in it and three original Horlicks mugs for a fiver and having taken the long leg of Kid meat into the butcher and asked him politely, he cut it into two joints.

Onto the local saddler they went as both of the handles on my purple carrying basket have broken.. not under my weight, I assure you. She had had it loaded to the top with the meat and all other kinds of goodies and the old leather handles just snapped.

But the saddler was not able to do it for her in time, so she bought several yards of strapping, a (not very sharp) leather needle and a large quantity of black leather thread.

The two women dropped Pete at someone's house and returned home. For Michele did have pancakes on her menu for a late lunch with bacon.. 'all my favourite foods'. She made the pancake batter, Pete returned home and the three of them sat down to a perfect Shrove Tuesday lunch.. sigh.

Lent starts tomorrow.. I wonder what I can give up? What are you giving up for Lent? Perhaps we could give up Crystallised Ginger? Ugh, what a horrid suggestion, we could not give up ginger, or turmeric or cinnamon for how else could we stay fit as fiddles or fitter than a butcher's dog if we didn't have our precious spices to kill all those known germs.. no, it will have to be something else.. umm, any suggestions?

She's no use, we had this discussion before I got banged up.. or to put it politely.. put into jail, she got a vague look on her face and muttered something under her breath, I guess all will be revealed when we get home, but I'm not quite sure when that will be.. sigh.

Never mind, both Freddy and Teddy have LOTS of new exciting words that they shouted at Sandy this morning when we didn't get a hint or even a sniff of a pancake and she went bright pink! And said "those are veryvery naughty words, Colin won't be at all pleased if you teach them to Biggles".

I wonder what they mean? I must ask the boys to teach me them tomorrow, so I can ask mama. Cheerio folks.. pippip from prisoner # 410.

GeeGee Parrot.
February 2016.
PostScript: Biggles is a Red Macaw, who has been with Colin's family for over sixty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment