Sunday 13 April 2014

BRIGHT BUT NOT WARM.. CHILLY IN FACT.

Yesterday, Dear Readers, she changed from the heaviest possible 'Tog' in duvet language to a lighter one, I gave her a look as if to say "bit early for that, isn't it' and got back a look that said "fat lot you know about duvets".

Which was un-necessary, I thought, as I do have my own built in feather duvet and actually, Dear Readers, I know a great deal more about feathers than she does, huh.

Anyway, as she is the one who has to sleep under it, why am I concerned? 

It was a very bright and sunny start to the day but by the time she got to the allotments, she tells me it was Brass-Monkey weather, this is a Blog that I am told children read so you will have to ask someone else what that expression means, for I am forbidden to explain it to you.

Anyway, very cold it was so there was none of this larking about in a t.shirt, no, she had to keep both her fleeces on the whole time. 

It has been cold out there and the Asparagus has stopped growing! There are big, fat spears there but only showing a centimetre, at the most, of their tip. 

The little Yellow Patty Pan Squash has died, old Jack Frost did the dastardly deed, she was just lying on the ground, no sign of slug damage, but she was very dead. Poor Patty Pan, she had grown very happily and had been 'hardened' off at home but there were a couple of cold nights last week and she got nipped.

She planted the beans plants and weeded the front Peony bed, the older ones are enormous with fat buds. How glorious they will be this year, each year these wonderful plants get bigger and bigger, she leaves the plant stakes in the ground and the shoots of the little plants need to be guided through the support rings but the older plants do not need any guidance.

Five of the clock, enough, she thought to herself and put the tools away, took an plastic bag and went leaf picking, lots of delicious fresh herbs, Lemon Balm, Golden Oregano, Marjoram, Chives but not a sign of any of the Mints! 

Lovage, Sorrel, Swiss Chard, Fusilli pasta with steamed Swiss Chard, olive oil, black pepper and chilli flakes would be good for supper, she thought.

She won't be gardening tomorrow, it is the day of the London Marathon, the traffic will be 'up the creek' and she has to do something for a friend at midday, which is why she picked the extra herbs for tomorrow's supper. They make a great salad, all rolled up together and sliced very finely into a bowl. 

Yes, she does know that you are supposed to 'tear' salad but that is only if you are not going to eat the vegetable as soon as possible, once it is rolled and she has cut it, we eat it immediately. Yes, I love those delicious herbs, I am partial to Lovage and Sorrel especially!

She had her bowl of pasta and Chard, I finished my soft boiled egg from breakfast, I also had some pieces of Chard stalk, such an unusual taste. 

You will be pleased (and relieved I am sure) to know my claw is better. I did not appreciate being put to bed early last night but it was the best thing, it kept me from flying about and the bleeding stopped but she has to remember to get a Silver Nitrate pen, just incase it happens again. 

Once it happened and the bleeding would not stop! Horrors of horrors, I don't know who was more frightened, her or me? 

She got dressed in a nano second, bundled me up like a mummy in a towel and we literally flew down the road to the Emergency Vet (open 24 hours) on Elizabeth Street. 

They were wonderful as we were seen as soon as she told them what had happened. Kind, nice people, a sweet Vet knew instantly what to do and stopped the bleeding, the trouble is that the quick in my nails is different on each claw and as my claws are black, you cannot see where it is.

It is now time for this 'dolly' to go to bed for it is past nine of the evening clock, so goodnight Dear Readers, we hope that you are all enjoying your week-end wherever you may be.

We see that the viewing figures of the Post about the Savoyard Potato Cakes has shot up to over 300 views! Its' closest rival is languishing in the 70's! How about that! I hope you are enjoying them, if you have taken the recipe and made some?

She is going to give you a wonderful Cheesecake recipe but she has to go and get Goaty Curd from Ellie's Dairy first, then she will give it to me.

PipPip.. I'm off but you know we will be back.

GeeGee Parrot.
April 11th, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment