Friday 27 March 2015

SINGING WITH MY MUM & LOTS OF NEW FRIENDS!

We were a little late as our train was delayed but it didn't matter because they hadn't started singing. She snuck in with me hidden in her big purple basket and I sneaked quietly out of my travelling cage and leapt up onto her head!

Well.. You can just imagine the reaction to that! The entire room stopped touching their toes and waggling their feet and squealed with laughter! Luckily, the organisers knew that this was going to happen so they didn't faint with shock-horror but laughed and said "Hello GeeGee, welcome to Singing With Dementia".

We sang twelve songs or rather they sang. I'm going to have to brush up my repertoire, that's for sure!

What a funny time I had. I stood, of course, on her head but I have never seen so many people in one room and I have certainly never heard so many people singing, usually it is just her or a cd. I settled down and bobbed about in time to the music, this made the people facing us just hysterical with laughter, so I did it lots more!

Then it was tea time, with Lemon cake, no wonder she comes here every week, good tea, of which I had several slurps out of her cup. Our tea table companions thought that very funny. A nibble off one of darling Susan's Danish cookies and a crunchy-munch of a cracker.

A lovely Italian woman called Jo asked mama what songs could I sing? Farewell from the Sound of Music, so our table sang it to me! And again, so I joined in by whistling and bobbing up and down again which made everyone laugh! That, Dear Readers, was a 'show stopper'! Other people came over to join our group and 'we' had to sing it four times!

Next it was quiz and game time, we were sitting at the Origami table, the young woman teaching them was a wiz with what she made out of her little pieces of paper, Jo gave me a piece but I blotted my copy-book by ripping it into shreds, Paper+Beaky are not good together, naughty Beaky!

I got the impression that it was time to jolly them all along, so I bounced about a bit and then jumped over onto Ann's head! I had a feeling she liked Parrots.. Luckily I was correct.. She beamed with joy and asked someone to take a photo of the two of us for her family.

Then a charming, very elderly lady from Guyana came over, she had that soppy look on her face that people get when they love Parrots but haven't talked to or seen one for a long time. Sure enough, her family had had them when she was in a child. She and I are going to be friends, that's for sure and she made my mama promise to bring me back again.

My dears, nothing but nothing will stop me from coming back to this lovely place. Well, of course, I can only come if she does but as she loves it too, it is now a firm fixture in our weekly agenda.

Then it was time to pack up and come home. Susan and she caught a bus and got off so they could go into Bartek, to replenish their supplies of Polish YumYum, for she has also got Susan addicted to our most favourite Salad.

Then off to our bus stop. They are having a late lunch next Monday at Susan's house, it is time to do her toes again, they've grown out and luckily the work she did all those weeks ago has held, none of them have become ingrown.. phew.

Then they'll go to their club for a meeting and the week will herald in the First of April. It has been a long winter.. for Spring has not even sprung properly, although the flowers are blooming, they are now saying to expect freezing winds and snow, perhaps for Easter.. brrrr.. just like forty years ago!

But that isn't here yet! So let's be happy and walk on the sunny if-you-can-find-it side of the street.

I am plumb tuckered out and am off to bed much earlier than normal but what a lovely time we had, who knew you could have such fun and laugh so much with people you've never met before?

GeeGee Parrot.
March 27th, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment