Monday 6 February 2012

The Referee's Whistle and The Under Eleven's Game.

Hello Dear Reader.

Somewhere in the world it is, at this very moment in time, a sunny day. It is strange to think about the world and the sun and how they do their merry dance, isn't it?

We all like sunny days with warm weather and last March, the weather, which had been gruesome suddenly changed to glorious so SHE and I went down to the allotment and did a huge amount of work, well, SHE did, I sat on perch and did diddley-squat but I watched to make quite sure SHE did whatever she was supposed to be doing properly.

The sun shone and the man came with his big grass cutting machine to cut the football pitches and then another man came and redid the white lines.

I, as YOU all know, LURVE noises.. mobiles, landlines, incoming faxes, beepers, door bells, YOU name them.. I LURVE them!

On many days there are a couple of games of Football played behind OUR back fence, WE see these men all dressed in 'strip', I believe it to be called, run about and try to get the ball past the other coloured team and INTO the net.. NOT over the fence and into OUR Asparagus bed, there is a lot of shouting encouragement from the players to their own teams and, of course, there is the Referee and HIS whistle... "whistle whistle" he blows, it is a very distinctive whistle and he blows it a lot.. in fact, a great deal of a lot.

One Saturday WE went to the allotment very early, SHE was going to do a full days work, then pick a BIG bunch of Asparagus and then WE were going to have supper with friends on the way home.

It wasn't different to any other Saturday, there came two teams of men, they played a game and left and WE thought to ourselves "that's nice, We are going to have a quiet afternoon without them shouting and whistling". But what was this, for several cars had driven up and parked just behind our fence, out of the cars got parents with picnics, then a small little coach appeared out of which got two teams of 'baby' footballers.. it was an Under Eleven's Game.

But it wasn't a single game for it went on-and-on, suddenly, I could bear it NO longer and I blew MY Referees Whistle several times, very accurately and very loudly.

It drove the Referee crazy, he screamed out "stop the game" and the little boys stopped running around, then he shouted "who has the whistle?", no one spoke for no one HAD the whistle, I am very good at throwing MY voice so no one thought that the whistle noise had come from OUR side of the fence... the man became angry beyond belief, so SHE who hates to hear grown-ups shouting at children called out in a clear voice, "I've got the whistle here", there was a collective gasp from the little boys and they came running with their parents and the very angry Referee to the fence.

He started to call HER very silly names until SHE said "STOP IT IMMEDIATELY, I said I had the whistle, I did NOT say that I was responsible for blowing it", the Referee scratched his head and said " I don't understand"....

There was an extremely tall father standing against the fence and he started to laugh, his wife looked at him as if he had 'lost the plot' but eventually he managed to say "I understand, I know WHO blew the whistle" and with that, I let rip with one of my finest...

Oh, indeedy, I like a good whistle.

GeeGee Parrot.
February 6th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment