Thursday 21 December 2017

WELL OK.. ARE YOU ALL READY FOR CHRISTMAS? THAT QUESTION IS, OF COURSE, DIRECTED AT THOSE OF WHO ARE OF THE FAITH THAT CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF CHRIST

We are, or rather, she is and as she's the chief cook and bottle washer of my flock, I am too.

Life's been a 'trifle' busy around here, she has a piece of hardboard which she puts onto her bed upon which she works. This work involves: white labels, brown paper, stencils, coloured pens and crayons, sellotape, red ribbon and bubble wrap.

And there has been much making of brittle in YumYum HQ, brittle as in caramelised nut brittle made with almonds, pistacchios, cashews and sesame seeds to give as gifts. Hence there's been a lot of packing of gift boxes with home decorated wrapping paper and labels.

I gave you the recipe for this brittle recently.

And today she gave a gift box of a mix of sesame and almond brittle to our Lebanese friend, who tasted them and said "Yum, where did you find these, they're delicious" and upon being told that my mum had not found them anywhere but had made them herself, she dived into her handbag, extracted paper money and said "Oh, please make me more, I am crazy about caramelized nuts", who knew?

What else has been going on? Well, she's back working as a volunteer but for a different charity and in a different location and does a 6 hour stint twice a week. They're a merry bunch of folk, all ages, all nationalities, both sexes.

But no trips to the allotments have been done, she may go on Saturday in the late morning for a few hours, for the weather, which had been bitterly cold and hovering around zero, has now cheered up and London today was into double figures!

But it was very wet and there's nothing you can do in the wet, except get wet and there's no point in doing that, is there?

A lot of our friends have already left London, we are staying here. She has absolutely NO desire to play that silly game of 'catch a plane or train @ Christmas time', for the rail system throughout the whole of the UK seems to be either on strike or undergoing major works all over the festive period and into the new year, so although we had a lovely invitation to visit friends, she asked if we could visit them in the spring and during the week time.

Sneakily I am rather pleased, much as I love them, the bedroom they give us is always a 'trifle' chilly.

Now I have to report that she is, much to my utter astonishment, becoming quite 'grown-up'.. I know that you'll be confused about that remark as I usually refer to her as if she is some ancient old fossil, but I mean 'grown-up' as in the sense that there is a little collection of prettily wrapped gifts with her name on the tag.. of course I've looked at them.. and not one of them has she prodded, poked or squidged in order to ascertain what the contents might be!

And, as she
was well renowned for being untrustworthy where presents were concerned when she was a child and well into her teenage years, this s quite remarkable!

My Christmas gift to her this year are some new feathers. For you see, as I don't get pocket money and don't have access to shops, it has to be something that either astounds or amuses her, like my human speech, for she squeals in delight when I do her chuckle or talk in her or a friends' voice, poor dear, so very easily pleased!

Many years ago, I think it was in 2006, I woke her up very early on Christmas morning by 'singing' and doing the funky chicken dance.. but you can't play the same game twice, can you and, actually if the truth is told which it always should be, I can't actually remember the steps or the words.  

So my new feathers will just have to do, I wish I'd thought of growing them a bit earlier as my vest is a trifle thin but they're coming through, albeit slowly, veryvery slowly.

Hey up.. on a happier note? Do you know what this month is? No reddies for guessing but it's the month that I started this blog all those years ago in 2011, six years ago and some of you Dear Readers have been with us for all of these years!

Now I have to stick a wing up and admit that this year has been a bit hit and miss, for there were a couple of months back in the autumn when we didn't put out any posts.. no excuse, she was busy and I was idle.


We're having an early night, she needs to go to the market for nuts and sugar with which to make the order for Myra, our Lebanese friend and to collect dry cleaning and to change library books, plus stock up on my latest passion.. aka walnuts.. oh, yubba-dubba, how I love them.

I hope to be with you again before Christmas Day but if I am not, we send you all our sincere wishes for a peaceful holiday and, please remember those less fortunate than yourselves and either donate food, warm clothing or money to a proper charity that support people who are in need. 

And if you are not with your loved ones, telephone them and tell them that you love them and how important they are to you.. make someone happy.

GeeGee Parrot.
December 21st, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment