Thursday 29 March 2018

BARE BOTTOMS ON VEGETABLE BEDS

Well, it may be just about to be April, the second month of Spring but it doesn't look like it nor does it feel like it.

So there will be no planting out done yet, she ain't no dummy and she certainly isn't about to make her neighbours at the allotments fall over their rubber boots in hysterics by testing the warmth of the soil the old fashioned way.

The way that vegetable gardeners used to test the temperature of the soil was to bare their bottoms and sit on the soil, if it was warm enough to sit on, then it was reckoned to be warm enough to plant out baby vegetables! 

Where does she find these pieces of information I ask myself sometimes?

And now for something completely different.

I am not having an easy time of it here.. the wretch disappeared this morning in pouring rain and didn't come back until well after 5pm.

She did cook my eggs for me before she left but there was no cosy eating our food together for she didn't eat or drink anything!

Very odd I thought but all was explained when she came back, she went to have blood tests and they wanted her to have fasted for at least eight hours prior to giving the samples.

And then she went straight onto Anissa, her hairdresser. 

My dears! I know she's lost weight but I didn't realise that her face has become pointy and that her cheekbones would cut you!

Anissa took one look at her face and has given her a boy's haircut and I must admit, it suits her but there isn't anything for me to hold on to when I want to climb up onto her head. I have to jump!

She went for tea with our Lebanese friends on her way home, they examined her new hair style and said the short style suited her. 

And as we're having supper with two lots of friends over the Easter weekend and taking a much beloved old friend to see the art collection of King Charles 1st at the RA on Tuesday, she doubtless have their opinions as well! 

It was pouring with rain today and tomorrow is a Bank Holiday and the library is closed, so she's no new books to read, but has promised me that we'll watch 'The Jungle Book', a dvd of the original film with George Sanders doing the voice of Shere Khan, the tiger. 

He was a friend of her parents in the late '50s - early '60s and whenever he came to dinner or lunch, he'd get a drink and then sit and read a chapter or two of her latest book to her and the voices he used for the different characters were simply wonderful and he could do the BEST ever scary squeaky doors!

So I'm off to watch this now, it's still pouring with rain, we feel sorry for families who have gone away for Easter and will spend it wrapped up, dodging the snow, ice or rain that we've been told to expect. 

Boring for them, we're staying in our cosy burrow. Chirps to you all but don't eat too much chocolate!

GeeGee Parrot.
March 29th, 2018,

No comments:

Post a Comment