Friday 15 August 2014

Raining Cats & Dogs.. Why do they always get the act?

Why don't Lions and Tigers or Elephants and Penguins get some work, huh? 

Anyway, that is what we awoke to, bath-loads of rain, dreary as the ground at the allotment has had lots and lots to drink and now we would like old Mr. Sun to come back.

They say that he has gone away and that Summer has ended for us in the UK, I think we have been short changed, for it is only the fifteenth of August, there are another two and a little bit of a week left of this month and what about September? 

Huh, this is boring, in fact it is very, very boring, as there are all those Apples, Blackberries, Figs, Pears and lots of varieties of Plum who would like to be ripened by old Mr. Sun and his golden rays.

So, anyway, here we are, she is tapping iPad, I am dictating from the top of sitting room door and 'thinking', only thinking mind you, of giving both Frosty Tiger and Daffy Duck a run for their money.

They have a pretty easy life those two, all they do is loll about on the top of the door. They live there most of the year, except when we have guests staying and then I am not allowed 'free range' of their room or the top of their door.

But occasionally old Beaky gets ahead of me and taking them by a leg or wing, he throws them onto the floor and I can get at the door frame. It is irresistible, for although I know it to be very naughty, a little nibble does keep Beaky as sharp as a whistle but it doesn't please her too much, in fact, it pleases her not at all.. sigh.

Moving swiftly along and writing of other things.. such as Pink Grapefruit.

She found six for a pound in the market yesterday, yes, six! Sally, Geoffrey's wife had them on their stall. They joined the bags of Mushrooms and Persimmons that she had bought from Karen.

Well.. what a surprise she got when she cut one in two this morning, for it was not at all the colour she was expecting! But Sally's label was right, for it really was a 'Pink' Grapefruit and not at all a Ruby coloured one like the ones she usually finds.

And the taste was absolutely scrummydumptious! Yumma-Yumma.. and now we are wondering where they were grown? 

She ate that and had two slices of rye toast, I had a boiled egg, my rye and sunflower seed bread, two of her crusts and a nibble, a large nibble, of her cheese. I drank water, she made a pot of fresh coffee.

Now we are wondering how to spend our day, there is loads to do at home (there always is) but a pile of ironing does not hold the same amount of interest as a trip to The British Library!

Sadly I cannot go there, so she has to remember all about it and tells me when she gets back.

But she has a few jobs to do first. There are the Celery seeds to be packed up and put into glass jars, the Lavender that she picked two weeks ago is now dry enough to use, she makes anti-moth bags for friends and our cupboards, and there are lots of trays of 'surprise' goodies drying which have to be turned. No, I can't tell you what it is, for it wouldn't be a surprise then, would it? 

A quick flap has just taken me onto her head, for I have to make sure she has not left anything out as my dictation can be a bit garbled sometimes. But as you all know, she is in control of iPad and not me, old Beaky gets bored tap-tapping and my toes are the wrong shape.

But before anything happens.. I am going to have a cuddle with my mum.. a scritch and a scratch and a diddly-datch. 

GeeGee Parrot.
August 15th, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment