Sunday 12 January 2014

THE TALE OF CELERIAC..

Good day to YOU all MY Dear Readers.

Here in deepest Knightsbridge, two soft boiled eggs, a slice of 'Tuscan' style bread, a slice of Rye with Sunflower seeds, two slurps of water and a cup of coffee broke that norty fast, the sun is shining and that desk is still tidy! 

After giving MY Rye bread a good beaking, I espied a piece of treasure! Now YOU, most certainly, would not classify it as such but to a small fat, grey person with a red tail.. aka ME.. it was certainly worthy of that name.

What was it? A skinny leg.

Several weeks ago SHE brought two very strange things home from the garden which SHE had dug up in the late Autumn. SHE had cleaned off the earth, trimmed little bits off the crazy roots and stored them in a bucket of damp sand, where they had lived very happily in HER shed.

They were on the work surface when I flew into YumYum HQ to see what was a' cooking one afternoon. I saw these 'monsters' and being not backwards in being forwards, I remarked, in no uncertain terms, that I thought they looked funny, as in peculiar, not haha.

SHE gave ME one of 'those' looks. I am sure YOU know the sort of look I mean, it is the look a parent gives a child (of any age) which means YOU know diddley-squat!

SHE then proceeded to do things, as cooks do, to these rooty folk and then SHE fiddled with some stuff in a bowl, I got bored and flew onto the top of chilly-larder to give latest box a beaking.

As MY bum was up in the air and Beaky very occupied, I was not privy to what exactly was going on down there but there were lots of sounds of chopchop and other weird noises.

Kitchen tidied, SHE did more fiddling and then I was plucked away from box and out WE went. Regretfully, on MY behalf, as there was the smallest trace of a truly scrummydumptious smell wafting past old Beaky.

Had SHE slipped something in the oven whilst I was playing very most favourite game of Search & Destroy Box?

SHE went about HER business, I think it was writing Christmas cards to folk who live in far away places, and I dozed on bedroom door.

"Supper time" SHE called as SHE walked past, I shook tail, jump-jetted both wings and flew to top of YumYum HQ door. This is a minute room, it amazes folk how SHE produces any food out of here, it is even smaller than the galley of some of the boats SHE has crewed on.

But produce food SHE does and that night was no exception, for out of the oven came a loaf of 'Tuscan' bread, who deserves a post all to itself, and out of the pot, came a creamy thick soup.

MY plate was taken out of the dishwasher, SHE spooned a little of the creamy stuff onto it and blew on it whilst I watched. It was mostly smooth with a few pieces that looked like matchsticks.

I wondered what they were, SHE put HER hand up for ME to step down onto and I was put onto the work surface. My plate was already there, Beaky sniffed, might good smell, a quick slurp confirmed that, it was actually, delicious. 

Now for one of these 'matchsticks', whoooo, what a crunchy tasty object! It was of the same taste as the soup but much stronger. 

"It is Celeriac" SHE said. Oh, how mortifying, the same vegetable that I had been rude about, that will teach ME in future not to be rude about things that I do not know about.

Do YOU know the root vegetable of which I write Dear Readers? Joanna, who lives in Texas and runs an excellent small B&B in Dallas called The French House, says that it is sometimes difficult to find it in the USA. But YOU can certainly grow it.

It has a very strange amount of roots, they look not unlike multiple, mad skinny legs, which have to be trimmed off and this, Dear Readers, is what I found this morning.

SHE has a place where SHE puts herbs to dry. It is not worth MY life to poke Beaky in there, for usually, I am told "NO, come away" in fierce voice but as SHE had shifted the stash of herbs last night to get a fresh garlic out, this little thing had emerged.

And this morning, a quick nudge from Beaky brought it out, it was a skinny leg of Celeriac, a little dry but of the variety most indeedy able to be classified as Treasure.

Treasure hides everywhere, waiting to be found.

GeeGee Parrot.
January 12th, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment