Sunday 29 December 2013

CHRISTMAS WITH 'SMALL' PEOPLE.. AKA CHILDREN!

Greetings Dear Reader.. We trust that all is well in YOUR world? OUR holiday was extremely uncomplicated.. WE suffered no hustle and bustle with those very norty non-existent planes or trains, no flooding and, or power failures.

I sincerely pray that I am not speaking too soon, for there is another big storm heading this way and there are people all over the County of Kent who have had no power since December 24th and a great deal of that poor county is submerged under several feet of water.

OUR River Thames, which flows right through the centre of London, has an enormous barrier which is positioned far down the river to prevent tidal flooding and this barrier has been raised in anger in order to prevent the capitol from being damaged but for those poor families down on the Weald of Kent, there is, and they have, no such defence as the rain has been torrential.

But the shocking thing has been the dreadful lack of response from the Utility companies which was and is continuing to be, beyond disgraceful. 

Especially as the weather forecaster had told us to expect a huge amount of rain and yet the companies did not have complete crews on stand-by for emergencies and are now offering paltry sums of money to appease these unfortunate families.

And sadly, on the Weald, a lot of building has been allowed to be done on what, in the 50's, was deemed to be flood plain, the rivers have not been properly maintained and severe flooding has occurred.


In contrast, OUR Christmas was very, very easy and I will, undoubtedly, make a lot of YOU extremely envious when I tell YOU exactly how easy it was. 

WE got up late, in fact, if truth be told, which it always should be, WE overslept and SHE missed Christmas Day morning Service at OUR church.

So up and into YumYum HQ for a light breaking of fast, buttered eggs and rye toast, scrummy. SHE dived into a cupboard and came out with a pretty dress, oh dear, I thought, SHE is going out.

SHE bathed, put on dress, did hair, did face, got coat and then did something most curious, SHE 
turned the radio off, I thought, that is a bit dull, I will have nothing to listen to but what was this!

For I was plucked off the top of bedroom door and placed in MY carrying box! I was going too and off WE went, up the stairs. I expected to get into a car, but no, WE climbed more stairs, SHE opened a door, creeeak and climbed even more stairs. 

Dear Reader, up lots of stairs, up and up WE went, until suddenly, WE were at the top of OUR house!

I was let out of MY box and lo and behold, there were two people to meet, Tereza, OUR hostess, and her nephew Leonid.

Then suddenly I saw two things I have never seen before, miniature people! SHE said, they are children. 

One was called Georgia and her sister was called Rebecca, such excitement, they had never seen a parrot sitting on someone's head before, so I took off and flew to sit on Leonid's head.. he had nice curly hair, such a comfy perch!

The girls hair was very pretty but straight and very glossy.. far too slippery for MY toes to stand on.

Lunch was delicious but by now, I was far too excited to settle and 'tuck in' like the humans were doing. I tell a gross fib, I ate almost a whole teaspoonful of ice cream, it was delicious and I had a small nibble of a very scrummydumptious Russian Honey cake.. yum.

Then.. it was truly HoHoHo.. Dear Readers.. for yet more people arrived, family friends.. mother Marianna, father Bobbie, three boys (names unknown) and an even smaller person.. Natasha.. and she was even younger than ME.. she was only five.. five, Dear Reader, so little.

I sat on her head and she laughed and then I sat on her daddy's head, I knew instantly that he had had avian friends in his youth, WE avian folk can always tell when a human has had or known another avian, it is like the secret handshake that some societies have.

What a happy day, such laughter they laughed as they talked and read aloud the silly jokes that flew out of those things that went bang when they pulled them.

Then it was time to walk down stairs and to go home, what a lovely day and all WE had to do, was walk upstairs mes amis, such fun it had been.

What a happy Christmas Day, I know that SHE has written HER thank you note but I want to say "Thank YOU" to Tereza and her family, for their kindness in inviting HER and for inviting a fat grey person to come too.. to share it with YOU.

GeeGee Parrot.
December 29th, 2013.
Post script.. I have, finally, realised why I prefer to stand on the heads of the bigger people.. aka adults.. it is because little people are too close to the ground.. so no offence little folk.. but WE avians like to be as high up as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment